Home About The Fame! Contact

Tuesday 1 July 2014

Malted Banana Ice-Cream






As I sit here, on standby (FML, as the youngsters seem to be saying these days), I realise that it is the first of the month.


Will July be when I start blogging with the increased frequency that I used to? Will I go back to being the kind of nice, friendly blogger who comments on others' posts and engages in conversations on Twitter and Facebook? Well, we can hope. There are going to be big changes coming up anyway, so you never know!

I am freshly back from holiday, and suffering from the associated exhaustion that such a state entails. Am I the only one who thinks we should be entitled to a post-holiday holiday to get over the first? Maybe it's my age (I turned 32 last week).

I spent a week in Malaga, visiting a former flyer friend who just opened a hotel in the old town there. In actual fact, he was in Ibiza for most of the time we were in town, but nonetheless, I took the opportunity to eat as many local treats as one possibly can without the help of a guide (I manage that rather well!) and am going to try to rustle up some of them for these very pages.

One of my favourite finds was a local heladeria, which had such wonderful ice-cream I can hardly bear thinking about it. Thus, I have been in full chilled dessert making mode since coming back home. I have turned out fairly decent strawberry gelato, but the way I do it uses raw eggs and I know what you lot are like about raw eggs in food, having received a raft of emails about leaving them out when I shared my Alphonso mango tiramisu recipe years ago. So I am giving you an egg free malted banana version (which is inspired by a dessert let down I had recently in Bill's - does anyone ever come away from there feeling satisfied? I find it all style and no substance). You don't need an ice-cream maker: this is no churn. Hurrah.

Enjoy.

Malted Banana Ice-Cream

You will need:

1 tin of condensed milk (397g)
300ml double cream
2 ripe bananas, mashed
4 tbsp Horlicks, or other malted milk powder
2 tbsp vodka (optional, but keeps texture smooth during long storage in freezer)
  1. Whisk everything together until thick and airily creamy. Freeze. That's it.

11 comments:

  1. Oh it does sound good. It's a great one for me too as I've given away my ice cream maker through lack of space. Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might give mine away too. I have no spice for the vodka in the freezer when it is in there!

      Delete
  2. What a great tip about adding the vodka - I never knew that. I will definitely be trying that next time I make ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it from Edd Kimber! And he knows sweet stuff.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to try this today but I haven't got any vodka, would another spirit or a liqueur work in it's place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a firm believer in whatever you have!

      Delete
  4. Loving this recipe... my husband adores malt and banana so i'll be very popular indeed if I serve some of this up :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And let's face it: what else is the Horlicks for?

      Delete
  5. Love this low faff and delicious pud, perfect for when you want a treat lurking in the freezer :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the vodka tip! A reason to put additional booze in anything makes me v happy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is as simple as it is yummy!

    ReplyDelete

That's what he said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails